Vision: A student that graduates from the program will be qualified to teach a comprehensive, safe, hatha yoga class and will have improved their understanding of yoga, teaching techniques, business opportunities, and one’s direction in life.
They will be equipped to teach a comprehensive, safe yoga class that nurtures and supports, physical, emotional, and spiritual growth.
Teaching Techniques: 100 hours
Students will spend approximately 100 hours of the training learning the foundations of teaching hatha yoga. Although there are many hatha yoga postures, each of the postures were chosen specifically to illustrate principles of teaching that can then be applied to any posture. By the end of the course, a student will be able with any posture to
- Understand the Safety considerations
- Know how to teach the posture verbally, visually and kinesthetically
- Be able to accommodate students of all levels through modifications and variations
Be able to describe to students the physical, emotional and energetic benefits
Teaching Methodology : 20 hours
Approximately 20 hours will be spent on learning and practicing teaching techniques that “make a good yoga teacher” great. They include the following:
- Instruction based on incorporating visual, auditory, and kinesthetic cues to allow a teacher to reach students who learn through different modalities
- Visually through Demonstrations – either the teacher themselves or through a powerful technique known as the ‘Silent Demo’, Mirroring, showing Misalignments,
- Kinesthetically through Assists – in program training using press points, practicing in partners, by apprenticing in actual yoga teachers classes,
- Teaching the students the importance of breath through understanding Breathing Priniciples, and then how to guide students ‘to breathe’ by learning numerous Breathing Techniques
- Auditory through practicing Vocal Variety, Body Awareness techniques,
- How to encourage and inspire students to their practice through Praise
- How to connect large or small classes through Partner Work
Anatomy and Physiology: 20 hours
“The universe inside is as large as the universe outside”. So the 20 hours suggested by Yoga Alliance is an introduction to the muscular, skeletal, respiratory, digestive, nervous, endocrine, cardiovascular, and lymphatic system & how yoga benefits each system. Taught by a ‘master teacher’ who incorporates the physical (she is a Registered Massage Therapist) w/ the spiritual, she leaves each student with ‘keys’ to help others. Chakras and how they relate to the postures covered will also be introduced
Philosophy, Ethics, and Balanced Lifestyle :20 hrs In this section a History of Yoga, overview of Bhagavad Gita, Yoga sutras, 8-limbed path of yoga will be discussed.
- Yamas and Niyamas and how they pertain to the teachings
- Discussion of Ethics and a look inwards to one’s own beliefs and philosophy make this section practical and relevant
- Balanced Lifestyle exercises. “the most important part of the course…”.
Balance of Course: Learn practical business & life skills from 2 teachers who opened a successful yoga studio immediately after graduation
Includes Basic principles of the business of yoga, Creating an action plan that leaves a student prepared for immediate action following graduation
- Introduction to Meditation and different techniques, ‘the reason Hatha Yoga was invented’ Students are encouraged to continue their own yoga practice as there is limited time for practice during the course although a very important Posture Assessment at the start and end of the course.
- Guests who will teach and inspire their particular passion, may or may not include Ayurveda, Laughter Yoga, Kids Yoga, Yin Yoga, Power Yoga, Prenatal Yoga, Kundalini Yoga
- plus processes and exercises that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE